Functions of NCDC
As provided for in the Statute, the functions of the Centre are:
- to investigate and evaluate the need for syllabus revision and curriculum reform at primary, secondary, tertiary levels of education, in pre-school and post-school education and in teacher education.
- to initiate new syllabi, revise existing ones, carry out curriculum reform, research testing and evaluation to bring up-to-date and improve syllabi for school and college courses.
- to provide consultancy services to institutions on matters relating to curriculum.
- to draft teaching schemes, textbooks, teacher’s manuals, syllabi and design specimen examination papers based on specification tables and marking guides.
- to design and develop teaching aids and instructional materials to promote effective teaching and learning.
- to devise, test and evaluate examination questions and methods of examining students with other appropriate teaching and examining bodies.
- to organise and conduct in-service courses in collaboration with relevant institutions for persons intending or required to teach new courses developed at the Centre for acquisition of relevant competencies.
- to organise and conduct courses in curriculum development for persons required to participate in curriculum development work.
- to hold seminars and conferences on curriculum development projects and problems.
- to collect, compile, analyse and abstract statistical information on curriculum and matters related thereto.
- to publish and market syllabi, teacher’s manuals, textbooks, bulletins, digests, periodicals or other written materials concerning curriculum and other matters related thereto.
- to disseminate and promote general and other better knowledge and understanding of new curricula, teaching methods and teaching aids.